Looking for Something Specific?

Monday, April 20, 2020

Adventures in Baking Quarantine Edition: Banana Coffee Muffins

We had a couple more overripe bananas to work with this week so I decided to make some Banana Coffee Muffins!

Baros wanted Banana Bread but we don't have a loaf pan yet so I decided to try muffins instead and add a little coffee to the mix. 

Hopefully, the muffins will also portion control us a bit... With cookies, we just eat them 1 or 2 at the time.  But then 15 minutes later, you can justify having another!  So maybe with muffins we'll behave.  (I can only hope!)


I went a slightly different route this time because we don't have much butter left in the house and I'm trying to avoid going to the grocery store.  So I used Coconut oil instead.  Maybe it's a slightly healthier version?  I'm not sure but they definitely taste good! 

I found the original recipe on a blog called Homemade Nutrition.  I'm definitely going to be checking out more of her recipes because they look pretty healthy! 

As usual I adapted the amount of sugar involved and ramped up the spices!  The original recipe called for whole wheat flour but we didn't have that so I stuck to all purpose flour. 

Banana Coffee Muffins

Ingredients:

  • 2 medium over ripe bananas
  • 1/3 cup coconut oil (melted) 
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tbsp instant coffee crystals
  • 1 1/2 cup whole milk mixed with 1/2 the juice from a lemon (aka how to make buttermilk when you don't have any!) 
  • 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract 
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking soda 
  • 2 tbsp cinnamon
  • Crushed walnuts to taste/what you have in your house
  • 1 tsp salt (in retrospect, I think the recipe calls for the salt to enhance the flavor)
1.  Preheat oven to 375° F.  
2. In a large bowl, mash the bananas (or have your husband mash it!) 
3.  Mix with oil, eggs, instant coffee, vanilla and the "buttermilk mixture".  Whisk well to combine.  
4.  Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.  Whisk gently until fully combined.  
5.  Place cupcake liners in a muffin pan.  The original recipe says to spray with non-stick cooking spray, but we don't have any so I skipped that.  However, I recommend spraying with the cooking spray as this batter when cooked seems to stick to the lining a bit.  
6.  Add 1/4 cup of batter to each liner.  Sprinkle with crushed walnuts.  For me, it made 19 muffins.  
7.  Bake for 14-18 minutes or until cooked through.  We don't have toothpicks so I just eye-balled it.  They rise quite a bit and look beautiful when done.  


The muffins came out moist and delicious.  I do think they need a hit of salt to bring out the flavors more but all in all they taste really good.  

I think I might make some whipped cream to put on top and that will really complement the flavors!  

And in the morning, I'm going to make some Dalgona Coffee because I think they'll match soooo well!  
Some Dalgona Coffee to drink with my beautiful muffins!

I would definitely recommend trying them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment