Looking for Something Specific?

Monday, May 4, 2020

Adventures in Baking Quarantine Edition: Lemonies i.e. Lemon Brownies

Two weeks ago we had a ton of lemons in the house.  I think they must have been on sale!  So of course I wanted to do some baking with them.  I debated quite a bit about what I wanted to make.  I kind of wanted to make a lemon meringue or lemon curd but decided against it because it took way too many eggs (and we needed those for breakfast!) so after doing some internet searches,  I decided to try making Lemon Brownies, or Lemonies.

I'd never heard of them or tried them before so I looked up some recipes and got some ideas.  I wanted something simple and with easy cleanup and with minimal ingredients.  I took inspiration from Jenny Can Cook's Recipe.  It's a super easy recipe.  I adjusted the sugar to taste and added more lemon juice for a little more kick!  And at Baros' request, I added some chocolate chips to change up the texture.  I also chose not to make the glaze since we're minimalists on sugary toppings.

They were delicious and I would definitely make them again. 

Here's my version.


Lemonies

Ingredients

  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup sugar (I might use light brown sugar next time for the color) 
  • 1/4 tsp salt 
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda 
  • 2 eggs 
  • 1/4 cup Turkish yogurt (Greek yogurt) (you can also use sour cream if you have it) 
  • 3 tbsps olive oil (I'm going to try butter or coconut oil next time)
  • Lemon zest from 2 lemons 
  • Freshly squeezed lemon juice from 2 lemons 
  • Chocolate chips
1.  Preheat the oven to 350° F
2. Line a pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil. 
3. Add all of the ingredients (except chocolate chips) into one bowl.  
4. Mix thoroughly until all the ingredients are well incorporated. Try to get it lump free.  you can mix by hand or use an electric mixer.  
5. Stir in the chocolate chips.

6.  Pour into the pan. 
7. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes.  Don't leave in too long or it will get dry!  
8.  Cool for 5-10 minutes in pan and lift out to serve.  


A glaze would be lovely for this recipe to add a little extra moisture.  But I really enjoyed the brownie texture without as well!  

This was a hit and really easy to make so I will be making them again soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment