Looking for Something Specific?

Saturday, August 11, 2018

Adventures in Adulting: Green Thumbing

So I'm going to preference this by saying that the last time I tried to grow plants, I was probably around 10 years old.  We  planted a vegetable garden and it was wonderful. Although it was my idea, I wasn't able to do much since my grandmother kind of took over.  If you knew my Grams, you know she took over a lot.  I helped but never really learned how to keep plants alive, especially not succulents.

But when my husband and I moved into our apartment last year, one of the first things we did was get some succulents. We wanted some easy to care for plants to bring some color and life to our bare apartment. We can't have pets (sadness) so we needed something alive to care for.

We took a trip to Home Depot stocked up and spent an evening gardening in our tiny kitchen/living room space.

They were so pretty and perfect and so many colors and shapes... We started with a pretty collection and added to it over the year.  We got a few small ones at our friends' wedding and then got some more at Deep Cut Gardens in Monmouth County.
I wanted to add them into the planters we already had butttt I never got around to it.
At first they were on the windowsill. Then, the kitchen table.  We moved them to another counter and to the floor where they got jostled more than I can tell (let's say neither myself, nor Baros are coordinated early in the morning).

Look at these beautiful succulents!
Sooo slowly, the poor plants started dying.
These are what's left... All in separate containers, destroyed and sad...



I'm so sad at how we kind of just let them die...  I swear we tried to keep them alive!

However, neither Baros nor I have green thumbs. So very slowly our collection of lovely succulents has been shriveling. As you can see, it's not all of them... but a whole bunch of them have called it quits.

So, finally, tonight, after weeks of planning, I finally replanted them and added them to our planters.
I have a sneaking suspicion that some of them are permanently dead but we'll give it a try.
I love our little sheep

Maybe the dead ones will come back to life!!

I'm hoping that some of them will come back to life and at least this way we have fewer pots. It all looks prettier.

Maybe my green thumb will get a little greener.
The new set-up

No comments:

Post a Comment