Looking for Something Specific?

Saturday, September 8, 2018

Adventures Down the Shore: Sunset and the Waves

After barbecuing, we headed over to the boardwalk for a walk down the beach. We needed to
continue Burak's birthday fun.


Your birthday comes once a year and this is his first birthday spent in the US so we wanted to make sure he really enjoyed himself.
So as the sun was just starting to set we arrived at the beach with perfect light: the golden hour.  After 5, you don't have to pay to get on most beaches so for a walk it's a wonderful time.
It's quiet with fewer people. Just you and the birds and the waves (and the couple of hold out families that aren't ready to leave yet)
As a warning, the reason the beach is free at this hour is there are NO LIFEGUARDS. If you are not a strong swimmer, DO NOT SWIM. DO NOT LET YOUR KIDS SWIM at this hour.  The tides are strong, often stronger than they look and there may be invisible undercurrents (RIPTIDES) so don't take the risk if you're alone or if you have children.  I repeat DO NOT SWIM ALONE.  You take your life into your own hands and there have been several drownings after hours this year alone.
Ready for a little swim
The brothers reunited

We chose to swim since Baros and Burak were actually fish in another lifetime and I'm a pretty strong
swimmer too so we took the risk since the tide and current weren't completely crazy.  I would never have swum alone, but I felt secure in their swimming ability so I ventured in with my boys. I didn't swim out as far as them, but I'm not a natural born fish and I didn't want my mom to panic while watching us.


We left Mom on the shoreline by the lifeguard chair so she could take some selfies and then take some pictures of us being silly in the water.
We had so much fun splashing around.
Ridiculous jumping about







The boys even got some serious swimming in.
Then we jumped and floated and rode the waves in and out with the tide.
I can't think of a better way to end a day.











silly


Baros splish splashing









Afterwards we walked a little more. The plan had been to go over to Ocean Grove and then walk toAsbury Park but we couldn't find parking so we went home and cleaned up.  By the time we were done we were exhausted so we just got some drinks and watched some shows at home.  All of us crashed in the best way possible; bodies and mind tired and replaying the activities of the day.







A gorgeous sunset

And the moon rising
We slept early and got up early the next day to take the train back home.  We probably would've stayed for longer but I had to make it to my friend's bridal shower. So I went from the shore to NYC and the boys went home to do some shopping before heading into the city to meet me and some other friends for dinner and drinks to further celebrate Burak's birthday!

Check out this post and this one to see our other birthday celebrations with Burak.

No comments:

Post a Comment