Looking for Something Specific?

Thursday, February 14, 2019

Valentine's Day Adventures: NYC edition

Happy Valentine's Day Everyone!

To tell the truth, I've never been a Valentine's aficionado.  For me, it's always been a bit of a contrived holiday. It's very commercial.  The red and pink hearts everywhere... Plus, there was that year I worked at a floral shop... I was traumatized by the sheer quantity of thorns I had to remove from roses.
Also, being single as a woman during Valentine's Day was never fun.  I don't think it's quite as problematic for single men.  Nobody wants to know why they don't have a Valentines.  That whole double standard always felt problematic to me and to an extent still does.  Why have Galentine's but there's no male equivalent?

I will say I still don't love Valentine's Day but it's not quite as obnoxious to me.  And I've gotten over my issues with roses.  I'm back to loving them (luckily since Baros gets me roses every now and then!) .

Last year, on the day before Valentine's Day I won tickets to see Kinky Boots through a Broadway Lottery.  So on February 13, we had a pre-Valentine's Date in the city.  We saw Kinky Boots, which is AMAZING.  If you haven't seen it, you really should before it goes off Broadway this year.
One of the best shows I've seen!
<3
Being silly at intermission!
 After the show we got dessert at a diner and headed home to relax.
A brownie Sundae
Baros looking on with his strawberry shake
I'm sooo happy.... I did share though...
The next day, Baros gave me the cutest unicorn bags (who needs hearts?  Unicorns are wonderful) and we spent a very lovely evening at home home watching movies and eating yummy food.
Love these bags.  I use them as my makeup bags still. 
And at some point, someone in our neighborhood started shooting fireworks so we got a lovely surprise show too.
The view from our window.  We were too tired to go
outside. 

This year, we're actually going out ON Valentine's Day, tonight.

Through Todaytix, I found really reasonably priced opera tickets for the 14th.  So Baros and I are going to see Iolanta and Bluebeard's Castle at the MET.

We've never been to an opera together before but we love classical music.  This should be a wonderful experience, especially since one of the operas (there are two one-act operas) is by one of Baros' favorite composers, Bartok.  The other opera is by Tchaikovsky.

They are supposed to be haunting, and lovely and I'm looking forward to it.  It'll also be the first opera I've seen in Russian so it should be interesting.  I've seen operas in Italian, English and French so far, so I'm curious to hear what another language sounds like in opera form.  So far, Italian flows the best for me in operatic singing and English not so much (it was weird to have to read the subtitles for my first language lol).

We haven't gotten reservations so as soon as I get into the city after work, we'll book it to a restaurant.  We're either going to go to Giardino54 or Jacob's Pickles.  I know!  Such a diverse choice!  Neither restaurant takes reservations and we couldn't decide between classic Italian and Southern Charm.

From there (wherever we wind up), we'll head to the MET.

I think it's going to be a lovely evening with my favorite person!  <3

No comments:

Post a Comment