Looking for Something Specific?

Saturday, June 30, 2018

Adventures on Broadway

I have always loved Broadway.  When I was younger, mom would try to bring my brother, grandmother and I once a year if she could.  And as I got older, and my brother's interest waned, she would take just me. So I still love Broadway.
I don't know how many shows I've seen over the years but it's a good quantity in a variety of styles.  I saw Beauty and the Beast, Lion King, Aida, Wicked, Titanic, Jersey Boys, and Bring in da Noise Bring in the Funk.  I think I saw even more as a kid/teenager, but I can't remember the names.
Unfortunately, once I hit college, I stopped watching as many Broadway shows because they're really expensive and I never felt like I had the time to do Rush tickets since I worked 3 or 4 jobs at any given time during college (yayyy college in America).
Happily though, I discovered the Broadway lottery last year!  Haven't heard of it?
It's basically a lottery you can play online for different shows. You can enter every day once a day for a show the same day (or sometimes for the next day).  You're not guaranteed seats but if you do win they cost between $25 and $40 which is great if you're on a budget.  The cons are you're not guaranteed seats and you can't choose what section you want to sit in.  Definitely not terrible cons
Since last year, I've won three times to see three different shows with my husband.
In total, we've seen 4 shows since last January.  We saw In Transit as our first fancier date (I got us a special deal through a friend of mine). It was so much fun.  It's an all acapella show about people in NYC.  I loved it and so did Baros.
Then in September, I won tickets to Cats which was also great.  It's such a classic show that everyone has heard of it.  I was really happy to see it since I had read the poems by T.S. Elliot that Cats is based on.  It's got great music and wonderful singing and dancing.  It's not heavily plot driven but it's a lot of fun.
A couple of months ago, I won tickets to Kinky Boots which was Baros' and my favorite musical so far.  It was amazing.  The actors and actresses are such talented people and we were in awe of the stage presence and quality of the production.  If you haven't seen it, I definitely recommend it.  It has everything you could want in a musical.
And then this past Thursday, I won tickets to Escape to Margaritaville which is on its final weekend!



I randomly applied for the lottery that morning without even realizing what the show was about.  I'm
so glad we took a moment to have a random weekday adventure.  Right after work, we met in the city, grabbed some food at the Tick Tock Diner and then headed to the show.
We had some pretty great orchestra seats




The premise of the musical is two women go to Margaritaville for a bachelorette party.  One woman is about to get married to a man who wants her to stick to her diet.  The other woman is a workaholic who wants to change the world.  On the island they meet a bartender and a musician and hilarity/romance ensues.  They also meet the wise cracking hotel owner and a very funny older gentleman who used to fly a plane until the owner hid it from him.
Loved the tropical set



The show was so much fun and the musicianship was really wonderful.  If you like Jimmy Buffet, islands, romance and silly moments this is definitely the show to see.  I didn't know most of the Jimmy Buffet songs well but I was familiar with quite a few of them... But not enough to know which songs were Jimmy Buffet and which were written specifically for the musical.  I know that a lot of the audience seemed to know the songs pretty well (there are a couple of moments that are sing along appropriate).
The show was so funny and it was great how they transitioned from one song to the next.  It felt really organic and quite clever.  Since it was an amalgamation of Jimmy Buffet songs, I was really impressed at how they fit the story around the songs.  It has a similar feeling to Mamma Mia in that sense.  Some of the transitions to songs were silly, but it fit so well.  They even fit Cheeseburger in Paradise into the show beautifully.  It was so much fun.

We really had a blast watching this show so I'm so glad we caught it before it goes off broadway.  It's going to be touring though, so if you happen to be in a city where it will be, I definitely recommend it.
After the show, we headed a block over and went to Amorino for some rose shaped gelato.  Oh man, delicious.  It was crowded but it was worth it for the deliciously creamy gelato.  We tried a whole bunch of flavors and got the cone with a macaron each.  I got amorino chocolte, mango, coconut and blackberry with a raspberry macaron and Baros got the amorino chocolate, coconut, and raspberry with a pistachio macaron.  It was so delicious and pretty to look at but I think next time we'll just get cups because the rose shaped gelato is a little messy. It's so delicious and the macaron was amazing too!!!
After that we headed home and got some sleep since I had work bright and early the next morning.  It was a lovely weekday adventure!
A great way to end our NYC adventure




No comments:

Post a Comment